About Me-----Treasures Again----My Store----Etsy----Patterns----Handmade Products
-------------------------------------------------------

Someone once said -

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right and pray for the people who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living." Amen

===========================================



*************If you want to print or PDF any post, just click on the links at the end of that post**********

Friday, February 10, 2012

Some Friday Laughs and the Story of Maxine



IF MY BODY WAS A CAR..
If my body was a car, this is the time 
I would be thinking about trading it in 
for a newer model. I've got bumps and
 dents and scratches in my finish and my
 paint job is getting a little dull ...
But that's not the worst of it.
My headlights are out of focus and it's especially
 hard to see things up close
My traction is not as graceful as it once was.. 
I slip and slide and skid and bump into things 
even in the best of weather..
My whitewalls are stained with varicose veins.
It takes me hours to reach my maximum speed.
My fuel rate burns inefficiently.
But here's the worst of it --
Almost every time I sneeze, cough or sputter, 
either my radiator leaks, Or my exhaust backfires!


How cool that a man has such insight into women
and this kind of humor!


John Wagner, Hallmark artist since 1970, says Maxine was inspired 

by his mother, his maiden aunts and his grandmother, the woman 
who bought him art lessons encouraging him to draw.
 He eventually attended  the Vesper George School of Art in Boston 
and landed at Hallmark as part of a new artists group. In 1986 Shoebox
 greetings unleashed his talents and he created Maxine.

'Cartoonists are sensitive to the insanities of the world; we just try

 to humanize them,' John says. 'If Maxine can get a laugh out of 
someone who feels lonely or someone who is getting older and hates 
the thought of another birthday, or if she can make someone chuckle 
about stressful interpersonal relationships, then I'm happy. 
Putting a smile on someone's face is what it's all about.'
Why the name 'Maxine'? 'People at Shoebox started referring to the
 character as 'John Wagner's old lady,' and I knew that would get 
me into trouble with my wife,' John says. The Shoebox team had a 
 contest among themselves to name the character and three of the
 approximately 30 entries suggested 'Maxine.' 

Now you know the story of how Maxine came to be. 







2 comments:

  1. Love this blog and that is why i have chosen you for a versatile blog award. Please visit my blog to collect it and the award rules.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I really enjoy comments and try to answer everyone, become a follower and never miss any future posts. Be sure to check out my Etsy shop, the link is to the side!

"Crafting and Reading and Shopping, Oh My!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...